Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Genevieve on CNN

Genevieve Nnaji, one of the most successful actresses in Nollywood, discussed her love for Nigeria, her acting career and Nollywood in an interview with Pedro Pinto on CNN international’s African voices recently. She said Nigeria is like every other place where you have the good, the bad and the ugly. Nigeria is fun and as a whole occupied with very confident and resourceful people, who are hospitable to all visitors. Another good thing about Nigeria, according to her, is that there is this bond people share, which has to do with their background and how they were raised. The way Nigerians behave portrays that they have a moral duty to their society, to themselves and also their respective families she said. She also spoke of her growing up in Lagos and how much she likes the place. “I grew up in Lagos, I was born and bred there. I don’t see myself leaving that city anytime soon. I can work anywhere else, but in terms of living, I’m used to Lagos, I’m sorry,” she said.
She said there is really nothing much she dislikes about her country. “I can never dislike my own country, whatever negativity is in a country is in every other country, it is in every other part of the world. So, the thing is everyone needs to be treated as individuals. So, I just take every Nigerian the way I see them. I would never live anywhere else to be honest,” she said.

In as much as she loves Nigeria, her country, Nnaji did not fail to mention the problems her country is facing. “The only problem shrinking the country is crime and fraud” she said. But she is hopeful that one day all these will come to an end. “After all, Nigeria is still a developing country,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment